Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

Donegall

Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 19625

Re: Donegall

Post by Adam Mint on Sun 19 Jun 2016 - 19:33

Donegal,,, now where will I start...

1. The feck up with the car parking at Manchester airport...

2. The feck up with the car hire at Belfast airport...

3. The feck up with the coal/peat fire...

4. The feck up at the Giants Causway...

5. The feck up trying to return the car at Belfast airport...

6. The feck up that delayed the plane by almost two hours at Belfast atrport...
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Sun 19 Jun 2016 - 21:04

OK, No 1. The feck up with the car parking at Manchester airport...

Now before I start with what happend I will say my preferred way of getting to Manchester airport is by direct train from Piccadilly station, 12 minutes and £4.30 for the ticket, so for the two of us to get there it's  about a £6 (10 minute) taxi ride from Annie's to the station, so that plus two train tickets £14.60, cost of a taxi direct about £25, but iits not the money saving that's behind my preferred choice of travel the train,,, it's getting there on time,,, the motorway system around Manchester and to the airport regularly comes to a standstill either due to normal rush hour traffic or an accident,,, about two years back Annie's daughter and her mate were heading to Ireland, a 9am flight, I say at that time of day deffo get the train, but no they've arranged for one of their boyfriends to take then,,, missed the plane due to the traffic...

So what does Annie go and do, books one of them "meet and greet" airport parking services,,, they meet you at the drop off area take your car, park it up, then bring it back on your return,,, £27 for five days we were away... Annie's reasoning, "it will be cheaper cos I can pick up the other two in the way",,,  Annie's Sister stays minutes from the airport, airplanes almost take her roof off as they come in to land,,, taxi would have cost her peanuts and if it hit a traffic jam they could have walked it...

So how this "meet and greet" works, you phone them 15 minutes before you arrive at the airport and they are there to meet you at the drop of point,,, No They Feckin Weren't,,, one hour later they turn up,,, Annie phoned them umpteen times, "we're two minutes away" was the answere she got each time until they started blocking there calls, so I phone them on my phone, got the same two minutes bollocks , by this time we're getting grief from the cops cos were in the "drop of area" and have been for almost an hour now,,, so plan "B", we're just about to take the car back to Annie's sisters place and dump it there and get a taxi back to the airport and our pick up driver arrives,,, no point in kicking off at him as he like the guy on the phone spoke very poor English...

The name of the company, PPS (Perfect Parking Solutions) perfect my arse,,,  while we were having our run in with the cops a woman came up to us and asked what company we were using we told her, we were both using different companies but her and her family had been waiting two hours to have their car returned to then,,, so more than one of them less than perfect,,, our return went OK with car there for us on arrival...

So in future,,, THE TRAIN...

Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 24949

Post by Mcqueen on Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 9:04

Used the meet and greet once, couldnt knock it
    zdeekie

UK Female Posts : 2131

Post by zdeekie on Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 10:04

We have used it a few times & found it good & a lot less stressful . Maybe you just had a bad experience x
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 13:17

zdeekie wrote:We have used it a few times & found it good & a lot less stressful . Maybe you just had a bad experience x

"Bad experience", "bad",,, Feckin disastrous more like,,, an hour of planned time in the departure lounge preparing for the flight gone, gone I say...

3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 19757

Post by 3rdforum on Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 22:05

Did you find a lock in?

zdeekie

UK Female Posts : 2131

Post by zdeekie on Mon 20 Jun 2016 - 23:12

Calm down x
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Tue 21 Jun 2016 - 19:00

3rdforum wrote:Did you find a lock in?

Think so...

Couple of pubs had music on at the weekend, so on the Friday we innitaly met up with one of Annie's cousins in a pub for a football presentation doo, her son played in the team plus she had something to do with the admin side of the team, she said once the presentation bit was over there was entertainment,,, entertainment turned out to members of the team having body hair removed for charity by waxing,,, not our thing so we left for the pub with music on and the cousin and others were going to join us later,,, but on speaking to them next day turns out they couldn't get in cos doors were locked, so yip we was locked in, think it finished about two...
    Guy was on key board and singing, not very good,,, but they held a weekly raffle in the pub,  one prize, a thousand euros,,, so we bought a few tickets for that, didn't win...

Saturday we went to a different bar with music, a guy singing to backing music, not really my think but he was very good and sang a wide variety of stuff, but we left before the end as we were up silly o'clock Sunday to get back to airport so don't know how long he went on to...
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Tue 21 Jun 2016 - 19:02

zdeekie wrote:Calm down   x

Calm down,,, I ain't started yet...

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Tue 21 Jun 2016 - 19:03

No 2, the feck up with the car hire at Belfast airport...

We'd  hired the car weeks earlier through the Internet with Alamo car hire, car booked is a four door Vauxhall Corsa automatic or equivalent economy model, cost for the five days £126, we could have an equivalent type car from other companies for slightly less but Alamos price included collision damage waiver while others wanted to charge for it, or carry an excess... The reason we needed an automatic was because Annie can only drive them on her licence, and although I was prepared to take my turn at driving there was no way I was driving on our arrival as I don't do flying sober,,, we looked at adding me as an additional driver but they wanted another £50 quid so we thought sack that,,, we were already paying more than double for the car hire due to having to get an automatic... Note, also when looking at the car hire options a Vauxhall Omega automatic was coming up for about £25 extra so I mentioned to this to Annie saying a bit more luxury for the four of us but she was not happy with that due to the size of it...

So we arrive at the car hire Belfast airport, although we've booked the car through Alamo the paperwork says to pick the car up from the Enterprise office there,,, there are two people manning the desk serving two customers when we arrive and we are next in the queue, thank god as the queue built up to about seven behind us very quickly, now everyone's got some sort of paperwork in their hand as if pre-booked, but the staff are filling up paperwork from scratch  by hand and asking question as if they weren't expecting anyone...

Eventually Annie is getting served, again the guy starts taking details we had already provided via the Internet booking,,, then midway through the form filling he disappears  through a door and we don't see him for about fifteen minutes, not only us but everyone in the queue is wondering WTF is going on,,, anyway after a bit more form filling when he eventually arrives back and he says I take to your car, so luggage in hand all four of us follow him to the rear of the building, what dose he stop at,,, A lovely huge metallic black  Vauxhall Omega...

He says we've upgraded you to this...

Annie says I don't want the upgrade, just give me what I ordered...

This is the only automatic we've got, we've got loads of manuals available but they are all only two door and the four of you and your luggage wouldn't fit in,,, I don't know why the company take bookings for four door economy size hatch backs here as we don't have any at this depot.................. It's this or nothing...

Annie is now going in to a panic as she does not want to drive the large car being offered,  I realise we are between a rock and a hard place, I now recon when the guy disappeared for the fifteen minutes or so he was on the phone in some back office trying  to get his hands on the car we'd hired from another depot or sub hire from one of the other airport hire companies but had drew a blank...
    (At one company I worked for we had a Ryder Truck Hire franchise as a sub business to our main operation, we would never take a booking for something we knew was not going to be available, but if someone came in for a spot hire and we did not have in the yard what was being asked for we'd be on the phone to other depots then hire company's to see if we could source what was being requested, a proportion of the hire fee going in the tills better than nothing)...
    So realising when the guys saying it's the Omega or nothing  and that's it, I pull Annie to the side and explain the situation and that arguing is going to get us nowhere, I say that she'll just have to take it on the chin and drive it today, I explain to her we are on main roads all but the last few miles of the journey so she should be OK, and that I will add myself to the insurance and do the rest of the driving, this agreed I then take over the conversation with the hire guy...

I explain that reluctantly we will take the car as we have no option, but that I will need to be added to the insurance as Annie is only prepared to drive the once to get us to our destination,,, I explain that we had initially looked a putting me on the insurance but for the £50 extra decided against, but that I felt in the circumstances I should now be added cost free, he agreed... 

He starts to complete the paper work adding my licence details, he then asks what level of collision damage waiver we want saying its a £1200 excess but to reduce that to zero it's £120, or to reduce it to £500 it's £100,,, I say collision damage waiver is included in our hire agreement,,, he says impossible Enterprise always charge for it,,, I say we ain't booked with Enterprise we're booked with Alamo,,, he says all company's have an excess,,, I say we specifically booked with Alamo paying slightly more up front as it included collision damage waiver in the cost, I take out the booking confirmation we had received and show him it clearly stated Vauxhall Corsa automatic four door hatchback or equivalent economy model, "collision damage waiver included",,, he still will not accept this saying there will be something in the small print,,, he reads all the small print, he obviously finds nothing as he turns back the page and starts reading through it again, "Ah" he says and reads out the following "The company have the right to change/amend their terms and conditions",,, I look at him and say quite loudly "So does that mean if you tell me I have to go and have a shite in your toilets right now before you'll give me the car I have to,,, your making it up as you go along now mate, so just gives the car keys know and we'll argue it with your head office if the cars damaged"...

Car keys handed over a some hour and a half from arriving at the hire desk a very stressful journey to Carndonagh followed,,, as I've said before Annie ain't the best of drivers, she only reacts to what's happening twenty yards or so in front of her, you can see a situation developing a hundred yards or so up the road where you can anticipate you are either going to have to slow down or stop but Annie's brakes will only be slammed  on yards from it,,, and as for lane discipline at roundabouts it just don't exist, there were a few times on roundabouts I thought here goes that £1200 excess if we ain't covered,,, the closest being on a large roundabout while negotiating Derry, signposts and road markings clearly show where we enter and exit the roundabout (3rd) exit, she gets in the correct lane of three as shown to enter the roundabout the outside one, the lanes are clearly marked on the road where to follow to get to your exit, so all you've got to do is stay in lane,,, but Annie no, obviously with fuel conservation in mind it's the quickest straight line to where she's going,,, if it hadn't been for the quick action of a woman directly to our left getting out our way Annie would have side swiped her while directly driving at a forty five degree angle out of our lane in to hers for no reason when the road markings clearly show we were already in the correct lane for where we were going,,, Arghhhhhhhhhhh

Anyway Alamo being lucky to get their car back in one piece there will be a letter going to their head office...

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Tue 21 Jun 2016 - 19:22

The rest of the story ( parts 3 - 6 ) should be good!

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Wed 22 Jun 2016 - 16:07

No 3, the feck up with the coal/peat fire...

The cottage had an open fire, the fire not only heated the lounge area where it was situated but also the hot water and radiators throughout  the house, the property had originally been a farm and in the attached farm building there were about thirty bags of peat, a huge pile of coal, bags of kindling and a box of fire lighters , a pyromaniacs paradise it was,,, the deal was use a fire lighter, a bit of kindling and a small amount of coal to get the fire started then burn peat from then on, and on a trust basis put five euros in a tin provided for each bag of peat you use... There was also a back up oil fired boiler that heated the water and radiators, plus an electric booster immersion if you only wanted hot water or if you wanted to speed up heating the water while the other systems were also operating, the oil and immersion systems were operated via the same one euro coin operated box, a euro lasting about a hour depending how much demand you put on the system...

So we eventually arrive at the cottage, it's lovely but there's a bit of a cold/damp feel to it as if it's not been occupied for a few weeks, so we decide to use the oil heading to put a bit heat through the place quick and heat the water,,, now we've all got euros, but paper euros no coins,,, so Annie and her sister are sent back in to the town to get some euro coins plus the bits and pieces we'd forget to get at Asda Belfast while me and Kenny have a beer to get over the stress of the journey... I decide lets get a roaring fire on and make the place look good as well as warm for the girls getting back...

Now being an ex Boy Scout I know what I'm doing when it comes to starting a fire,,, don't pile it up big to start with, get a small fire started first then add to it,,, so with a few small pieces of fire lighter, kindling and coal I get a small fire started in the middle of the hearth, I add in a couple of small pieces of peat, fires going well but it ain't drawing well, smoke rather than going up the chimney seems to be blowing back in to the room, I check the damper position, it's open, I try opening and shutting doors to get a draught going up the chimney but nothing seems to be working,,, I wonder if the fires to small to be producing enough heat to get it drawing correct, so I pile in an excess amount of firefighters and kindling and a bit more coal so the hearth is full now, within a couple of minutes the fires well alight,,, only problem there's feck all smoke going up the chimney,,, lounge area is full of smoke, and I mean full, can't see from one end to the other, smoke alarms are going mental throughout the cottage... We've  got all the windows and doors open to try and get a draught going through the place but the smokes still building up,,, I recall seeing two metal buckets in the out building, I get them and fill with water from an outside tap, no I ain't gonna throw them over the fire, don't want to feckin flood the the place, no, I get the fire tongs and start emptying the contents of the fire in to them, as I'm doing this Annie and her sister arrive back, not quite the warm welcome I had planned for them,,, a few minutes later while I'm still extinguishing the fire and the place is still full of smoke and alarms going off one of Annie's relatives arrives to greet us, she says I think your chimney may be blocked,,, obviously from the Einstein side of the family this one...

Well all the fire transferred to the two buckets and the smoke slowly clearing we all settle down to a welcoming drink, smoked beer and wine it was...

We later phoned the cottage owner, she said there had been people in about two weeks prior to us and they had used the fire with no problems, but she arranged for a chimney sweep to come in next morning... He initially tried a traditional chimney sweeps brush but that was going nowhere, he then got a sort of cork screw type attachment on the end of a long flexible extension attached to an big electric drill, for about an hour he kept ramming this up the chimney from inside the house, small twigs kept falling in to the hearth as he did this, after about an hour he eventually cleared the blockage, a birds nest, he filled half a black bin liner with the twigs that came down the chimney...

After that, cottage lovely and warm and more hot water than we knew what to do with...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Thu 23 Jun 2016 - 15:54

No 4, the feck up at the Giants Causway...

We decide to take a trip up to the Giants Causeway, it was just over a two hour drive  each way, so as we get in to the area we follow the signposts for the Giants Causeway, the signposts lead us in to a carpark next to the visitors centre, at the entrance to the carpark there are a couple of guys in high-vis vests stopping the cars entering, I suspect to take payment for parking, but no, guy sticks his head in the car window and asks if we are members of the National Trust, no we reply, he explains the facilities are free to National Trust members otherwise it's £9 per adult,,, we all look at each other thinking fu#k, well we've driven all the way to see it so we ain't got much option so OK we say, he tells us to park up and points us to where the entrance is saying you get your tickets there and you have to show them as you exit the car park... So at the entrance to the visitors centre we are relieved of £36, the visitors centre is mainly a huge souvenir shop with a cinema size screen on one wall with a film running telling you about the Giants Causway, so after paying silly money for a couple of key rings and fridge magnets we exit the door leading to the Giants Causeway, what do we see, a bus stop,,, the causeway itself is about a mile away, is the bus included in the ticket price, No,,, so we opt to walk downhill to the causeway and bus it back uphill... So down at the causeway itself which mainly seemed to be inhabited by Chinese we clamber over the rocks for a bit and take a few photos, well once you've  clambered over one or two rocks they all start to look the same, mmmm, that's probably because they were... So it's on to the bus being relieved of another quid each to get back up to the visitors centre/carpark, as we exit the visitors centre heading to the carpark we pass a sign, in bold writing on the sign the entry fees are displayed, "Adults £9, Child £5, Family (2 adults/2children) £22", but at the bottom of the sign in small print there is this wording "The above charges are for access to National Trust facilities, access to the causeway is free",,, we wis fu#king conned, the guy directing you in to the car park don't tell you that does he,,, £36 quid to park the car and have the privilege of being ripped off in their souvenir shop... There were cars parked on the road leading up to the visitor centre, we could have parked there, totally conned... 

I see another letter of complaint on the horizon...

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Thu 23 Jun 2016 - 15:59

The Giants Causeway trip part two...

On the way back we decided to follow the coast road for a bit, we come to Portrush and decide to have a refreshment break, we go in to a bar/restaurant overlooking the harbour, the restaurant bit is downstairs with the bar being upstairs as were the toilets, drinks ordered we get a window seat and enjoy the view as we have our drinks, table behind us there's a couple who look a bit out of place, dressed as if they were in Marbella  not Portrush, female looks very high maintenance and the guy wasn't far behind, both them on their phones constantly yak, yak, yak... As we come to leave a guy exits the toilets at the top of stairs, he'd obviously seen us sitting next to this couple, as were going down the stairs this guy pipes up, "rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous there aren't you", l ask what's he on about, he says "the couple your sitting beside", I say don't know them, "It's Darren Clark", who, never heard of him, "Darren Clark the golfer", means nothing to me mate, I ain't in to golf, "he's one of the richest guys in Ireland", nope, never heard of him mate, this guy then goes on to give me this Darren Clarks life story... Annie and the rest had existed the building and were waiting for me at the door, as I join them Annie says to me "bit star struck that one, Darren Clark this and Darren Clark that, who was he actually on about" I point to the guy standing directly behind her at the door having a fag,,, oops...

Now I'd have paid another nine quid for a picture of Annie's face at that exact moment...

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Thu 23 Jun 2016 - 16:01

Had I known that you were going to visit it, I could have told you that. The Causeway is on public ground as are most of the sights in Ireland both North and South. Access cannot be charged but e.g parking the car can. You could also have parked the car for £9 if 3 of you had got out before the entrance and walked in. The exact same shite goes on at the Cliffs of Moher. 100% rip off.

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Thu 23 Jun 2016 - 16:03

Clarkey ain't the richest by a long shot, he enjoys life too much   ( also he is the upcoming ryder Cup captain)

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Thu 23 Jun 2016 - 16:07

3rdforum wrote:Clarkey ain't the richest by a long shot, he enjoys life too much   ( also he is the upcoming ryder Cup captain)

I'll let Annie know...

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Fri 24 Jun 2016 - 16:23

No 5, the feck up trying to return the car at Belfast airport...

We get back to Belfast airport arriving at the roundabout where we exited the airport on our initial arrival, I can see all the car hire building a few hundred yards up from one of the roundabout exits but the road  has a no entry sign on it, there are another two exits from the roundabout, one marked "Industrial Area", the other "Airport Entrance"  we take the exit saying airport entrance, we follow the airport entrance signs, as we do the road it splits in to two roads, one marked "pick up point", the other marked "long and short stay car parks", I take the pick up point option  thinking I'll drive through it as I can see the car hire buildings at the far end of it,,, wrong, you can't drive straight through the pick up point area, you've got to pay to get out of it, there are big signs up saying "10 minutes parking only, cost £1", sign also explains if you exceed the ten minutes the charges go up very quickly, there are ticket machines beside the sign, so I jump out to get a ticket that I suspect I will need to get out, there are no instructions on the machine, just a slot for coins and a slot that I expect my ticket to come out of, so quid in,,, feck all comes out,,, so there's a guy at the machine next to me, I ask him how do I get my ticket out, he says, oh, these machines are for the long/short  stay car parks, you put your ticket in and tells you how much your due to pay, I think to exit the drop off point you put a quid in a machine at the exit barrier, so relieved of another quid we exit the drop off point, I can see the car hire buildings to the left of us but we're coming out on to the one way airport exit road which I have to turn right on to, this road leads back to the original roundabout we started at some ten minutes ago,,, feck that I ain't going round in circles all day, so to the horror of those in the car it's up the one way system the wrong way I go,,, so car returned two quid lighter...

I now suspect  the exit at the first roundabout marked "Industrial Area" is the one we should have taken, but so much for user friendly signage,,, I bet we are not the first nor will we be the last to go round in circles trying to return a hire car,,, also bet the car park pick up point exit barrier machine picks up a good few extra pounds daily with people going round in circles trying to get to the car hire offices...

Two quid I spent, two feckin quid...

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Fri 24 Jun 2016 - 16:29

Its all an evil plan to rob you of your money innit! Something similar happened me at Edinburgh airport. I went by myself to collect the car as its a fair old walk to the car rental area and returned then to collect Eileen and kids. I couldn't figure out how to get to them as it was all one way this and one way that so I drove in the exit of some kind of staff car park and got quite close to them. The airport police were keeping a good eye on me but said nowt. AND I had to come out through the drop off area which cost a quid ( I think). Feckin highway robbery. It's a scam. Angry3

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Sat 25 Jun 2016 - 14:17

6. The feck up that delayed the plane by almost two hours at Belfast airport...

And finally, No 6, The feck up that delayed the plane by almost two hours at Belfast airport...

As previously mentioned our return flight was delayed by almost two hours, I looked on Easy Jets website while waiting at the airport and the reason given was air traffic control issues earlier in the day (that notice had been posted some eight hours prior to me looking at it)...

So we're all on the plane waiting to depart the terminal building, pilot comes on the intercom, he apologies for the delay, he explains our plane had been here along with with himself and the co-pilot  on time, but if we looked to the left at another Easy Jet plane, it had been delayed and the cabin crew bringing that one in were scheduled  to take this one back...

So we'd waited two hours for three over made up trolley dollies and a poof...

So we eventually take off, trolley dollies start doing there rounds with the drinks trolley, one starting from the front of the plane the other the rear, we're seated mid plane row 17, they serve about six rows each then announce that they are terminating the service, the reason, it is the cabin crews last flight of the day and they have to cash up, do a stock take and complete the customs paperwork before the flight lands,,, Arghhhhhhhhhh...

We've waited two feckin hours for the alcohol serving posers and we don't even get a drink,,, should have just fecked off without feckers, think I'd have soon found my life jacket and nearest exit if things were going tits up without them lot...

Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 38223

Post by Campbell Brodie on Sat 25 Jun 2016 - 15:22

Moaning git...

Helpful Links.
           [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Sat 25 Jun 2016 - 15:32

Yip,,, but apart from all that shit we had a good time...

searcher

Scotland Male Posts : 6283

Post by searcher on Sat 25 Jun 2016 - 16:39

Message to self,  "Avoid any form of transport that Minty is on"   Hi
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 38223

Post by Campbell Brodie on Sat 25 Jun 2016 - 17:12

The man's a jinx...

Helpful Links.
           [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Sat 25 Jun 2016 - 18:01

did you get a lock in? or at least a few late ones?

Current date/time is Sun 19 Nov 2017 - 4:52