Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

Pocket money from bottle deposits ends.

Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 41228

Pocket money from bottle deposits ends.

Post by Campbell Brodie on Fri 1 Jan 2016 - 10:22

This was one of the main ways we got any pocket money as kids, by retuning empty "juice" bottles to get the deposit back. Now Barr's Irn Bru will discontinue the 30p cash back on their bottles as of midnight tonight. BBC Scotland

They started the practice in 1905 with a ha'penny deposit on the bottles.

Helpful Links.
          Tenerife living guide. | FAQ | Forum Help |

Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 20805

Re: Pocket money from bottle deposits ends.

Post by Adam Mint on Fri 1 Jan 2016 - 14:39

Recall me and my mate going to Inglston to watch the motor racing, suspect we must have been about twelve at the time, there was only one large snack bar open and the queues to get served were horrendous, but one of the main items being sold was bottles of pop, Coca Cola, Fanta, Pepsi etc all in small glass bottles which carried a deposit, can't remember what the deposit was back then but it wasn't a lot,,, but due to the queuing people weren't bothering to return the bottles, they were lying around everywhere,,, me and my mate quickly got in to the recycling business, made a small fortune in our minds we did,,, on the down side we didn't see much of the motor racing...

Current date/time is Sun 27 May 2018 - 2:18