Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

airbnb duplicate properties

Hayzer

UK Male Posts : 114

airbnb duplicate properties

Post by Hayzer on Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 10:14

I have found very reasonable direct flights from my local airport to Tenerife so decided to look at the various accommodation options available. We have been booking private accommodation lately so had a look at the usual suspects HomeAway, Owners Direct, Holiday Lettings and airbnb  to see what was available. I found a place I quite liked the look of on airbnb and shortlisted it to look at later, I then found another similar property in the same area and it was only when I had a proper look that I realised it was the exact same property but with a different name, price and different letting agent. They would both appear to have verified IDs and reviews so I have no idea what the score is.

I was showing this to my wife and she said that there was a report about this issue on Watchdog recently.

I have never had any problems with booking direct in the past but I am now doubly wary of these types of sites, I believe the scam is to get you to pay the person you contact directly rather than through the airbnb secure system. I have contacted airbnb to inform them of the two properties but as yet have had no reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 38290

Re: airbnb duplicate properties

Post by Campbell Brodie on Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 10:51

Mmmm. I've never used those sites, we always rented from the owners we met on the Island. There's always loads of them in the bars! We get talking and take it from there. But, you have to start somewhere which is the point you are at! If you do get a place, try to find out who the "swallows" are. They only use their homes through the winter, so are willing to let other times of the year if they trust you. We started with package holidays which gave us flight and hotel then we started talking to people to see if they were prepared to let privately.

Helpful Links.
           [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 19774

Post by 3rdforum on Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 15:17

If its any use, AirBnB don't release funds until you are settled in your accommodation as far as I know.

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21327

Post by Topdog on Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 7:30

Look on Facebook too at tenerife properties to rent , page
    Hayzer

Post by Hayzer on Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 14:51

Zurich.Kabel.Tv wrote:
    Hayzer wrote:I have found very reasonable direct flights from my local airport to Tenerife so decided to look at the various accommodation options available. We have been booking private accommodation lately so had a look at the usual suspects HomeAway, Owners Direct, Holiday Lettings and airbnb  to see what was available. I found a place I quite liked the look of on airbnb and shortlisted it to look at later, I then found another similar property in the same area and it was only when I had a proper look that I realised it was the exact same property but with a different name, price and different letting agent. They would both appear to have verified IDs and reviews so I have no idea what the score is.

I was showing this to my wife and she said that there was a report about this issue on Watchdog recently.

I have never had any problems with booking direct in the past but I am now doubly wary of these types of sites, I believe the scam is to get you to pay the person you contact directly rather than through the airbnb secure system. I have contacted airbnb to inform them of the two properties but as yet have had no reply
    i would not get all ´talk-talk´ as 90% of the brits i have as customers dont know what road their property is in ,so having different agents with 
    different details for same property is well within reason .

I would suggest 2 people offering the same property on the same site but both having different property titles, different prices, different contact details is definitely not  well within reason.

searcher

Scotland Male Posts : 6284

Post by searcher on Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 19:58

Doubt very much if it matters who the property is booked through as long as you pay airbnb and not the agent.
    Hayzer

Post by Hayzer on Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 20:57

I see on one of the listings the host says

•••If you cannot find what you are looking for, please write a message to me with your criteria. I have a lot more properties all over the resort that are not listed on Airbnb.•••

That would mean dealing direct with none of the safeguards of the airbnb payment system

3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 19774

Post by 3rdforum on Tue 27 Oct 2015 - 20:49

Hayzer wrote:I see on one of the listings the host says

•••If you cannot find what you are looking for, please write a message to me with your criteria. I have a lot more properties all over the resort that are not listed on Airbnb.•••

That would mean dealing direct with none of the safeguards of the airbnb payment system

If you have your doubts Hayzer, back away. ( though Airbnb defo hold your money in escrow until after you gain access to the property)

Hayzer

Post by Hayzer on Tue 27 Oct 2015 - 22:48

We just can't seem to find the type of rental property we are after, there seems to be almost no smalish detached villas with a bit of privacy unless you head out of the resort areas and away from the coast.

Might still end up in a hotel after all.

Hayzer

Post by Hayzer on Mon 2 Nov 2015 - 20:19

Still no reply from airbnb Angry3

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 23 Nov 2017 - 7:43