Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

2010 Elldis autoquest 180.

Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 38290

2010 Elldis autoquest 180.

Post by Campbell Brodie on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 18:39

Reg, is this a good deal? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Helpful Links.
           [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 24994

Re: 2010 Elldis autoquest 180.

Post by Mcqueen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 19:16

2 things wrong with it, first its built on a Peugeot, second the conversion is English,
    So to sum up its all crap to start with,
    What you need is a german base vehicle- Volkswagon or Mercedes, you wouldnt build a house on sand would you, Then you need a german conversion, ie a Hymer or similar,.
    A motor home is a big investment, or in laymans terms a shit load of money,
    one day you will want or need to sell it, you cant polish a turd, so do it right first time,
    2 days ago a 1996 Hymer on a Mercedes came on Ebay for £16k it sold in a day,
    If that had been a English conversion ie swift or Bessacar, it would still be there at £6.75 pence,
    Hymer give 10 years water ingress warranty, herald or swift give 4 hours or until it pisses down, inside on your lovely new duvet, so no that is pony, stay away from it,
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 19:28

I just googled Peugeot motor home reversing problem,
    Then i googled Eldiss water ingress, All English conversion like Bailey etc tell you to go forth with most damp problems,
    Not saying Hymers are perfect but i've had 20 year old ones and you can dance on the roof, do that with a UK and you would end up inside covered in 2x1 and damp hard board,
    Tinternet is a great help when looking at anything like that,
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 19:34

OK pal, cheers for that! Lesson learned! How about this one then? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Helpful Links.
           [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 19:40

Base vehicle is Fiat and 69k miles, so thin ice to start with,
    you can be sneaky and get the reg number and all details and ring a dealer down south to see what they would pay you for it,
    I would say less than £10k, they may deem that too higher a mileage to bother with,
    A thing of quality is an investment, a turd is money down the drain, scotch thinking like
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 19774

Post by 3rdforum on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 19:51

Are you thinking of buying one Cam?? Irish meet up in the future??? Dancing Dancing

Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 13320

Post by Perfectspecimen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 19:54

Split screen VW camper you want Cam, at bus fest really nice ones were 35k. Probably get a nice 70s type one for 10k. Gilt edged investment they are. Or what about an Austin Healy and a tent???

Adventure before dementia!!!
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 20:01

Mcqueen wrote:Base vehicle is Fiat and 69k miles, so thin ice to start with,
    you can be sneaky and get the reg number and all details and ring a dealer down south to see what they would pay you for it,
    I would say less than £10k, they may deem that too higher a mileage to bother with,
    A thing of quality is an investment, a turd is money down the drain, scotch thinking like

Okey dokey Reg! I'll have a hunt for a German base with a hymer then...

3rdforum wrote:Are you thinking of buying one Cam?? Irish meet up in the future??? Dancing Dancing

Really fancy one Dermo, and I can let my kids use it too, they need a wee holiday...

Perfectspecimen wrote:Split screen VW camper you want Cam, at bus fest really nice ones were 35k. Probably get a nice 70s type one for 10k. Gilt edged investment they are. Or what about an Austin Healy and a tent???

I don't do slumming anymore Vince, too old for that malarkey!

Helpful Links.

Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 20:06

The old VW's are a romantic dream there damp small and un reliable, insulation is what is needed, solar panels, generators, under floor heating, its the future, comfort at our time of life,

Now i had a quick gander and what springs to mind is a Transit Hymer.
    EBAY numbers
    RHD 291574487317
    LHD 141778253369,
    If your off camping in the wilds you need to be equipped, good leisure batterys insulated water tanks, fixed bed with heating underneath, gps phone, all that modern stuff, twin gas tanks, Hi Ho
    VW or Mercedes may be too big for a novicem
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 8906

Post by Mermaid on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 20:07

Thanks for your advice Reg.

Live life to the full now or it could be too late
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 20:25

Does a Left hand drive cost more to insure? Also, did you think about looking over here with sterling being so strong against the euro at the minute

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 20:36

Never been loaded for LHD, habitation doors are mostly on the right hand side with Hymer, but you can vacate from the passenger side door when not on site, saying that my last Hymer caravan was UK spec with door on the N/S, Plenty of RHD Transit Hymers about, and there not too big so wont scare the novice,, Our best family holidays are cramped into a motorhome heading anywhere,
    Do it, you can always sell it,
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 20:40

That's got a Fiat badge on the front D, same as Peugeot and the Citroen ones, rubbish as Reg said. Rust will be a problem. And Transits rust just as much. You want a Merc or VW base 1996 or earlier. Oh and by the way, you will struggle to keep up with lorries, and only get about 30mpg. Shhh, those ones will run on Kero though, Bosch pumps, and the non turbo Fiat. Or do they dye it in Ireland?

Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 20:44

3rdforum wrote:Does a Left hand drive cost more to insure? Also, did you think about looking over here with sterling being so strong against the euro at the minute

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That one's sold Dermo!

Helpful Links.

Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 20:50

I may sound a bit thick but is southern ireland in the eu because your euro users,  if so you dont pay vat to bring one into the uk, but i must say i thought stuff was always expensive over there,
    just thinking out loud thats all, I have been tempted in the past to go over to Belgium and Germany to ambush a Hymer,
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 21:04

I think the Irish tax system is even worse than ours Reg, any excuse and they drain yer purse. I do know they have to pay tax on UK vehicles too. As is the case if you import one into spain you have owned for less than six months.............

Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 21:12

Thieves all of them,
    Good time of year to start looking tho,
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 21:22

About December I would say, peeps need Christmas spends. And Germany and Belgium are an excellent source. You can even get insurance deals and temporary number plates to drive them back.

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 22:48

When the EU abolished import duty between the member countries, our government in its wisdom, changed the name to VRT ( Vehicle Registration Tax). It is a percentage based on what they deem as the current market value of the vehicle, be it new or 2nd hand)( You can go on the revenue website, typre in the details of the car and it will tell you the amount due when you bring it into the country). I have had to pay it on all the cars and vans I've brought in from the UK ( still saved a couple of grand on each ) but the same DOESN'T apply for someone buying in Ireland and bringing to the UK. Also, there was a glut of luxury cars/campers during the recession but things are picking up fast here and the prices have hit bottom and are beginning to rise now.

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 22:50

Perfectspecimen wrote:I think the Irish tax system is even worse than ours Reg, any excuse and they drain yer purse. I do know they have to pay tax on UK vehicles too. As is the case if you import one into spain you have owned for less than six months.............
    Thats true, great if you are a public servant, gold standard pensions with feck all contributions. If you are self employed here, you don't get the dole if you are unable to work and no state pension when you retire.

Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 19653

Post by Adam Mint on Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 0:11

Before you buy, whatever make/model, rent one for a week or two and try it first...

Remember when I was looking at buying a yacht, got speaking to a guy in the pub one night, he'd owned one at one time, never forgot the advice he gave, like women he said, better to rent than buy...
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen on Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 19:20

A man needs toys, or a hobby at least. You go buy what you want mate. Let me know if you want a boat, I have a few for sale.......... My daughter is looking for a VW T4 or 5, the older the better I said, the newer ones are full of gizmos which no fecker really needs anyway all of which balls up on a regular basis.

Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie on Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 19:24

Perfectspecimen wrote:A man needs toys, or a hobby at least. You go buy what you want mate. Let me know if you want a boat, I have a few for sale.......... My daughter is looking for a VW T4 or 5, the older the better I said, the newer ones are full of gizmos which no fecker really needs anyway all of which balls up on a regular basis.

My mate at work has just bought one of them VWs. Don't know if it was the T4 or the T5 but it's '97 reg (P) and cost £13,000.

Helpful Links.

Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen on Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 19:27

T4 Short nose
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen on Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 19:54

Blimey, nil depreciation then.

Sponsored content