Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

Scottish Independence

3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 19546

Re: Scottish Independence

Post by 3rdforum on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 9:46

Ah i see, its everyone on the electoral register in Scotland that is eligible to vote. That means if I was living there and had registered, I would get to vote even though I'm Irish? I had assumed it would only concern those actually born in Scotland.

Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 19107

Post by Adam Mint on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 11:38

Yip its Irish innit,
    Scottish, lived there most of my life until work brought me south of the
    border, so no vote for me, and Salmonds keen to get the young brave hearts on
    board...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 8801

Post by Mermaid on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 13:01

Adam Mint wrote:Yip its Irish innit,
    Scottish, lived there most of my life until work brought me south of the
    border, so no vote for me, and Salmonds keen to get the young brave hearts on
    board...

don't think that is a good idea

Live life to the full now or it could be too late
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 13:05

one of the comments suggests, if you pay tax in Scotland and/or on the electoral register, then you should be entitled to vote irrespective of age

searcher

Scotland Male Posts : 6227

Post by searcher on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 15:30

Ever since I can remember the age of majority in Scotland E.G. the age at which you can marry without parental consent has been 16 , why the fuss now?
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 17:56

Well that says it all, just cos your stupid and old enough
    to get married don’t mean you have the sense to vote on important issues...

You listened to the average sixteen year old lately,
    believes everything comes from a fridge in asda and without their x-box the
    world will come to an end...

Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 8801

Post by Mermaid on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 19:11

Adam Mint wrote:Well that says it all, just cos your stupid and old enough
    to get married don’t mean you have the sense to vote on important issues...

You listened to the average sixteen year old lately,
    believes everything comes from a fridge in asda and without their x-box the
    world will come to an end...

Have to agree with you Adam

Live life to the full now or it could be too late
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 19:12

Thank you...
    searcher

Post by searcher on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 19:35

I get more sense from my grandsons [two are 13] than I get from some members of the forum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Tue 12 Mar 2013 - 21:01

I'm kinda with you Bill. If the age of consent is 16, I don't see why the voting age would be different. I know some of them may be immature but I know plenty of 30 somethings that I wouldn't leave in charge of an open fire whereas my 13 year old is already an old man in terms of his thinking. ( Though I must also admit, I'm biased cos I'd love to see an independent Scotland ( for obvious reasons))

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 0:37

Would you let a 13 or 16 year old run your personal financial affairs...

If the answer is no, then why let them have a say in running a country...

What is the average age of the flag demo people in Northern Ireland I wonder,,, fed shit by some loud mouth and their brains not developed enough to know any better, do you think they should have the vote 3rd.....

Salmond knows he’s on a loser and will do anything to get a vote, no better than Savile, child abuse...

I rest my case.

Oh, and as said before I’m Scottish through and through, but dont like loud mouths, and wont be taken in by them...

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 9:56

Adam Mint wrote:Would you let a 13 or 16 year old run your personal financial affairs...

13 yo ...no, 16 yo .....yes. They would probably be better educated than me!

If the answer is no, then why let them have a say in running a country...

What is the average age of the flag demo people in Northern Ireland I wonder,,, fed shit by some loud mouth and their brains not developed enough to know any better, do you think they should have the vote 3rd.....

At least they are taking an active interest in local politics

Salmond knows he’s on a loser and will do anything to get a vote, no better than Savile, child abuse...

I rest my case.

Oh, and as said before I’m Scottish through and through, but dont like loud mouths, and wont be taken in by them...

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 10:08

Sorry, I shouldn't be so crass. There was a comment in that newspaper piece that roughly said," If a 16 year old can pay taxes, then should not the same 16 year old have a say in where those taxes go?" Are you afraid, Minty, that salmond will brainwash these easily led teenagers and thereby pass the referendum? If that is the case, how can it be said that these same kids are mature enough to have sex, mature enough to marry etc? I quote from Scottish family law here, "16 years old - a child may consent to sexual activity, marry, leave school and home, engage in full-time employment and transact as an adult". Now if a 16 year old can do all these things but can't vote, then there is something wrong with either( A.) The age to vote is too high or (B.) the age to do all the above is too low. I can see your point AM, but as the law stands now, there is no reason to stop them.

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 11:48

As I have posted previously on this thread than I am against independence (Post 12), and if Salmond thought for one minute that giving the 16 year old Bravehearts a vote negative to his means, it would not be happening...

From today’s BBC News page...

Oh, and another one of Salmonds proposals, one of these free with each vote cast...

Child Abuse.

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 11:55

Is it just because of the SNP that you would vote no? i.e. if there was to be a different party in control, would you vote yes ( if any of this makes sense)??

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 13:01

I would still be against independence, posted a reply to much the same question from you some time back, unfortunately can’t find it, but basically I think Scotland is too small (as is the UK as a country) to go it alone, ok as long as they have oil, which before the English chip in has saved the UK economy.
    If the politicians could just get their act together and run the country (the UK) as a country and spread the wealth around a bit for the countries people rather than the needs of large corporations and their own personal gain then there would be no call for independence.
    Things such as banking, defense, EC membership, everything the uk already engages in will have to be re-negotiated for Scotland, Salmond seems to think everything will automatically fall in to place,,, will it,,, more jobs for the boys, but where’s the real money going to come from ! All ok as long as the oils flowing, but when it stops...
    Its all a bit to short term for me, won’t affect me in my life time, but long long term ????????
    And finally as I said in my previous post on such, peace, alliances between countries has historically been based on some kind of peace treaty, ok today do we see a threat internally or externally to peace,,, I think yes,,, so why break down the fabric of the UK, Europe etc, run the country for the people, we’re only here once, why the fu#k do we make it so hard for ourselves...

3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 13:30

Thats a hell of a post!

searcher

Post by searcher on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 14:46

This will be my last contribution to this particular thread as it has turned into an anti Salmond rant.
    Why is Salmond always the guy to be condemned ? he is just a spokesperson for the party, saying and doing what the party members want him to do/say, as for us not being able to look after our own affairs ! well we managed well enough before we were sold down the river by a load of landed gentry
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 15:09

Your right searcher, I’ve got the guy all wrong...

I apologies, to make it up here’s a couple of shots of the messiah...

Come on S wipe the dummy down, its only a forum...
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 16:11

searcher wrote:This will be my last contribution to this particular thread as it has turned into an anti Salmond rant.
    Why is Salmond always the guy to be condemned ? he is just a spokesperson for the party, saying and doing what the party members want him to do/say, as for us not being able to look after our own affairs ! well we managed well enough before we were sold down the river by a load of landed gentry

OK, a little less tongue in cheek...
    It aint an anti Salmond rant, it’s my opinion of Salmond and his cronies manipulating the UK voting system to suit his needs, Scotland is not an independent country as yet, but he is attempting to change the law to aid his ambitions...
    The reason Salmond is always the guy to be condemned is because he is the party leader, it comes with the job, and personally I think he is a prat and disagree with his politics, my choice...
    Did we manage well enough before, how far back in history are you going???
    What has Holyrood given you apart from free prescriptions and uni (old and young vote catching carrots...), which should have been achieved through Westminster for the whole country... Holyrood is just another talking shop, an expensive one, get rid of it and all the other quangos and there’s got to be more money in the pot for the people, it’s our taxes that pay for that lot, the more of them, the less for us, they look after themselves first, so the less the better.....

Angry2
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 24457

Post by Mcqueen on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 16:22

Ah Religion and politics, sure fire way to get the mind racing, glad i dont understand none of it,
    BobMac

Scotland Male Posts : 503

Post by BobMac on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 16:33

I don't particularly like Salmond or Sturgeon ( strange that the leader and deputy leader both have fishy names !!)

I have a Scottish friend who used to be a lecturer in law at Anglia University and he reckons that Salmond is a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them.

His opinion on what is happening is that the SNP (Salmond/Surgeon) are now shitting themselves because they've been given what they have argued for all these years and never actually thought they would get - a vote on whether Scotland should be independent or not; now they actually have to spell out to the Scottish people what it is going to mean for Scotland financially and where Scotland will fit into the world pecking order and they are deliberately trying to force a position where they can blame Westminster for forcing them to abandon the idea for ANY reason that they can find.

Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 16:40

Adam Mint wrote:
    Adam Mint wrote:No, but...

Never go to war unless you have the ammunition to win.....

Just noticed I failed to copy over last line of above post, should have read:-

Never go to war unless you have the ammunition to win.....

Does Salmond actually think he can win ! Does he want to !!! Or is he just appeasing his following by carrying through what he said he would do.....

Copy of a previous post of mine, last line.........

Oh and Mcqueen, neither do I but don’t tell anyone, just a bit bored today...
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint on Sun 17 Mar 2013 - 13:29

Adam Mint wrote:It’s a cover up...
    If Scotland gets its independence, my bet is the Shetlanders will want theirs, oh, and their oil...

mmmm
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum on Mon 18 Mar 2013 - 22:46

That just reminded me of that film "passport to pimlico".

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017 - 22:15