Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

Just a coincidence then.....

Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 13353

Just a coincidence then.....

Post by Perfectspecimen on Fri 24 Nov 2017 - 1:13

As you may know I am slowly fitting new kitchen and needed a new electric spur for the built in freezer. Decided I would re-do a previous spur properly and wire it to my new fusebox thingy instead of coming off the ring main via a junction box. So set to and all looks very neat now. Turn on leccy and it trips out. Blox!!! Checked all my connections and all still okay so give up and get extension cables out so we can watch tele etc. Think as I have been disturbing the ring main maybe I have pulled something out of a junction box. Wires from consumer unit, thats what the thingys called   disappear up into the ceiling so this morning I rip up the carpet and some floorboards  in Jacks bedroom to locate the problem, no sign of any junction boxes there that could be disturbed by a tug on a cable so I am left scratching my head. Only thing left is to start checking all the other downstairs sockets, dozens of the feckers but thought I will start in the kitchen. Third one I came to was the cooker switch, unscrewed it and hey presto a loose wire! Sure enough system not tripping out now. Jeez, thank feck for that but what puzzles me is I never went anywhere near that switch so why the hell does it pick that moment to go wrong???????

Adventure before dementia!!!
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 19848

Re: Just a coincidence then.....

Post by Adam Mint on Fri 24 Nov 2017 - 1:44

I put all area where I lived in to darkness one Sunday afternoon, I'm fitting a kitchen, I'm at the stage of wiring the kitchen unit lights, rest of family are preparing a BBQ cos Red Arrows are about to perform nearby and were gonna munch and watch, I get a shout that aerobatics are starting, in a rush I push a positive and negative wires in to a connector strip so they ain't dangling loose, on way out to BBQ l flick electricity back on, lights come on for a split second and go off, I think shit I shorted out them wires in the terminal strip which I had,,, I think feck it I'll have a burger, watch air display and sort it later...

Display over I go to fuse box, alls ok ???, I see neighbors gathering in street, I go out, nobody's got electricity,,, I say phone electricity company, I'm told whole area is out,,, I stupidly say oh, I was doing work in house and caused a short circuit bit fuse didn't blow,,, so electricity van/guys arrive at door, I explain my cock up and that everything died minute I done it,,, guys reckoned a 800 amp or something fuse at a sub station blew and that my cock up was probably the straw that broke camels back...

On the bright side we were having a BBQ so Sunday lunch wasn't interrupted...

Current date/time is Thu 14 Dec 2017 - 15:03